HOW TO BE MORE PRODUCTIVE IN YOUR JOB
Would you like to commit to accomplishing more in less time, in your job and your career? Many of us feel that our productivity in our jobs can be great some weeks, and a disaster at other times. When we evaluate why, we may realise that we go about our tasks without any strategy. Strategies can help us create effective management of tasks or time.
These 6 simple techniques can help with becoming motivated to be more productive in any job. They can also reduce the ever increasing ‘to do’ list, more efficiently.
1. Plan, plan, plan. Forward planning can reduce the time required to achieve each task. Manage the daily/weekly schedule by documenting a plan for the day/week ahead. List:
- (1) What needs to be achieved?
- (2) How it is going to be achieved?
- (3) When it’s going to be completed? Set a deadline, for faster action to achieve each goal
2. Organise tasks for greater efficiency, by prioritising the most important ones first.
- – Plan a step by step process for each task, while maintaining quality throughout. For more difficult tasks, it is helpful to visualise this process.
- – Time-block the entire working day. This may also be helpful in our personal life, including evening and weekend activities.
- – Eliminate the potential for wasted energy and time on less important tasks, by delegating tasks and reducing unnecessary distractions.
- – Take on the biggest tasks at the start of the day, when energy levels are typically higher to achieve higher productivity.
- – The dreaded word ‘deadlines’ can cause anxiety. Setting achievable time limits can significantly reduce procrastination with starting and/or completing tasks, and ultimately lessen stress.
- – Change the dynamic of how work is taken on by grouping interesting and uninteresting tasks together. This can help to reduce the monotony associated with less mundane jobs.
3. Maintain focus. Distraction can be our biggest challenge.
- – Intentionally stay alert and commit to focus on the task at hand.
- – Ensure that a frequent check-in with the planned schedule throughout the day is completed to ensure that tasks stay on track. This helps with achieving greater productive output, efficiently.
- – Good self-care including diet and exercise can help enormously with maintaining focus.
- – Stay motivated and reap the rewards.
4. Curb stress levels by taking a short break between daily tasks.
Go for a brisk walk around the building to refresh the mind and stretch the body. This simple technique can easily refocus the mind.
5. Finally, review each week.
- Evaluate areas where there is room for improvement … there is always room for improvement. For example, eliminate unnecessary distractions. Turn off mobile phones while scanning through emails and daily ‘to do’ lists first thing in the morning. This can assist with maintaining a healthy focus and can increase productivity in the day by accomplishing more jobs in less time.
Don’t just work hard, plan astutely to achieve more each day. It’s amazing how quickly the ‘to do’ list can diminish, with a lot of clever planning and persistence. Achieving increased productivity can provide real satisfaction, and can significantly increase motivation levels. Remember to commit, focus, persevere, stay motivated, and evaluate all work daily for more effective and successful results in job productivity, in our career and personal life.
For a simple way to start, check out quick tips for productivity by clicking here.