How to Improve Self Confidence to Approach the Task of Applying for Jobs
Even confident people can face low levels of self confidence at different stages of their lives. This is particularly true when making a career change or applying for jobs. College graduates, returners and individuals looking for change can all suffer the same fate, when transitioning in their life. This can leave us with a feeling of not being able to move forward to live out our fullest potential.
Regardless of who we are, facing this challenge can reap many rewards to anyone who is willing to risk and venture into the unknown. Listed below are some tips to increase self-confidence levels, explore which one(s) boost your morale:
- – Understanding what we truly want in life, in the areas of our work and personal life, is a journey of discovery – take time to ask: “What do I want?”
- – Invest in self-development and undertake the right activities to improve self. This can significantly boost confidence levels.
- – Check out some online platforms, like TEDX and YouTube, to seek out speakers on the area specific areas of improving confidence levels.
- – Set timely goals that can help to overcome procrastination, which can result in not accomplishing a task due to low morale or disbelief that the task can be achieved.
- – Start with self-belief and understand personal abilities. Others are more likely to believe in us, if we first believe in ourselves. Start by placing positive notes around our home. For example, “I am capable and excited to try new things”. Read them aloud first thing in the morning and at night, while breathing in our own truth.
- – Build new support networks and develop trusting relationships with positive people. Their feedback can be invaluable to boost self-belief.
- – List strengths and weaknesses. Flip both lists into positive solutions. For example, if confidence is low when delivering presentations, list options to improve presentation skills.
- – Take a risk and step outside the comfort zone, by starting with small steps first. It is important to celebrate each small achievement before progressing to the bigger ones.
- – Learn and practice to be assertive in different situations. Take a course or do some online research to improve assertiveness levels.
- – Reduce stress levels to boost confidence, by eliminating the stressors, with the on-going support of family or friends.
- – Try not to take knock-backs personally. Share any emotional ties to the recent situation with a trusted individual. This can increase self-awareness and help with overcoming similar future set-backs, by developing new coping mechanisms.
- – Strengthen body posture with regular exercise. Exercise can also release endorphins and a feel-good factor, and contribute to increased confidence.
- – Eat healthy to ensure that the metabolism is functioning correctly. A healthy body can boost brain power and work wonders on confidence levels.
- – Visualise outcomes to new starts in life.
- – Change old attitudes, to a ‘can-do’ attitude. This can help with progressing on the new journey, and reduce the risk of negative internal messages.
There is an old saying: “Fake it ‘til you make it”. To apply this concept, all that is needed is to call on our courage and motivation, believe in ourselves, and step out of our comfort zone. Finally, believe that all is possible if life, only when we are willing to make the change. We’d love to hear from you. Post a comment and share with us your tip for increasing self confidence
Click here for more tips to improve your self confidence levels.