Tips For The Office Christmas Party
Even though the music is playing, food and alcohol is being served, and people are laughing and people are generally in high spirits– the office Christmas party is however still a business function. Keeping this in mind before your every action can only lead to successful behaviour.
- Eat and drink in moderation.
- Don’t talk about work! Parties are meant to be fun.
- Christmas parties give you the platform to get to know people you wouldn’t normally interact with at work; it’s a good opportunity to meet new people, network, and get to know colleagues who work in different departments, so don’t be cliquey, and speak to everyone.
- If spouses of employees are invited, make sure they are recognized and treated no differently. Include them in conversations.
- Upon arrival, don’t head straight to the bar or food table. You are at the party to socialize with your co-workers, boss, and to make new connections.
- Get everything you need ready for the next day at work before you go out, to make getting up in the morning as pain-free as possible.
- Office parties are usually mandatory. Thus, you cannot avoid them. That doesn’t mean you have to be there from beginning to end, unless it is held during the workday. Arrive on time, mingle, speak to the boss, eat a few hor d’ouevres, thank the host, and make a graceful exit.